Kailyn Donovan, a 5-year-old girl from Massachusetts recovered after a black widow spider bite. Black widow is the most poisonous spider in North America. While she was playing in the backyard, she felt a bit pinch of a bug bite. Initially, her leg seemed purplish bruise but later it turned black. Kailyn then developed a fever, hence, she was immediately shifted to the hospital. Donovan said, “She never even said anything had bit her. We hadn’t gone anywhere, so it had to have probably been in our backyard
After conducting various tests in hospital, the specialists at UMass Memorial Hospital confirmed it was due to black widow bite.” Dark purple and black colors on the girl’s wound was the result of necrosis or cell death. Now, she is given antibiotics and her condition is much better than before. Kristine, Kailyn’s mother said, “She’s happier now that we’re not in the hospital. It doesn’t seem to bother her. Whenever she looks at it, she doesn’t think it’s gross, so I try not to make a big deal out of it, to make her nervous or anything.”
Around 2,000 people are bitten by black widows in the US annually but only a few of them proves fatal. Deaths usually occur in young children, elderly and extremely ill people. Kailyn was lucky enough that her infection was detected early and was treated on time. Mike Nelson of Norfolk County Agricultural High School said, “These spiders are very rare. They’re not common and the places they like to live are places people don’t like to be.” “Old attics and sheds, those types of places. You don’t want to be so afraid to go outside. The incidents are very rare”, he further added.
The poison of black widow spider directly attacks the nervous system of a human. This results in severe muscle pain, cramping, high fever, nausea and mild paralysis of the diaphragm which makes breathing difficult. Most of the patients recover from the infection without any medical attention but some of them need special attention.