Tick bites have been increasing day by day. Kenley Ratliff, a little angel of 2 years from Plainfield, Indiana died due to tick bite on Saturday morning. According to Dr. Chandy John, a pediatric infectious disease specialist who treated the girl, she got a fever and showed other symptoms such as rash after a week going to campaign on a Rocky Mountain. When Kenley started suffering from a high fever she was immediately taken to emergency rooms twice and was diagnosed with strep throat. Later, when her fever and fatigue continued she was shifted to Riley’s Children Hospital in Indianapolis.
Her fever went up to 104 F and never came down, hence doctors were unable to stop the infection. It caused her brain to swell and failure of her internal organs and ultimately surrendered to her illness on June 3rd at 3 am. John said, “As the infection advances, your body responds very aggressively. It causes your organs such as brain to swell and inflammation in the blood vessels.”
After doing blood tests it was found she was suffering from fever due to tick bite on Rocky Mountain. She was having big purple rashes all over the body because of tick-borne disease caused by the bacterium Rickettsia rickettsii. Rhonda Conn, Kenley’s grandmother wrote on family’s GoFundMe page, “I just cannot believe this is real. We were expecting a miracle and we wanted to bring her home.” “I had no idea what this was”, she further added.
According to the Indiana State Department of Health, doctors have diagnosed 40 cases last year and is rising day by day. CDC says this rocky mountain fever can be lethal if not treated at the right time in first few days when symptoms occur. Symptoms include high fever, headache, vomiting, fatigue, nausea, muscle pain, abdominal pain and sometimes a splotchy rash. John uttered, “Rashes all the body is not common. Only 80 percent of kids and adults get the rash.” This disease is not only common in the mountainous state but also in the southeast and central U.S.